I don’t recommend the SnapOn scanners for a first time user. As Mitch
mentioned, they have gaps in what data they can access and display, so you end
up not having visibility into some things. I have a SnapOn MTG2500 that I like
to take for inspections, as it’s easy to use and powered by the car, so I don’t
have to worry about getting power (necessary for the SDS.) However, it doesn’t
do everything the SDS does, so I lose some visibility with it.

There is a good but very long thread on the SDS clones on the BW R129 forum.

You can find a good clone with a laptop, cables and MUX (multiplexer) under
$500. If you plan on working on just about any MB from the early 90s through
late 2000s (2000-2010/12) the SDS is indispensable. You’ll wonder how you got
along without it once you have one.

I figure mine has paid for itself many, many times over in time saved and
confirmation of diagnoses.

-D