I have the exact same symptoms in my '83 300SD with a freshly resoldered push
button unit.  I'm interested now.....

~Mr. Jim typed:
~
~"Is that the aluminum housing servo I sold you a while back?"
~
~Yes it is. It served me well last summer. What do you reckon Murphy would
~charge for a rebuild?
~
~  "What happens when the blower dies and you push defrost?   Defrost  should
~ bypass the servo and put the blower to full speed using a relay.  If  the
~blower
~ only runs in defrost, it could be a bad servo."
~
~After it fails and I mash the defrost, the blower comes back to life and I
~get loads of air out the defrost vents and whispers of air everywhere else.
~Somewhere I have a pushbutton assembly I picked up somewhere. Perhaps I'll
~swap it out and see what happens.
~
~I suppose I need to devise a systematic troubleshooting methodology for this
~and get it right this year.
~
~Bob Rentfro
~'77 300D, 151K