The key has an RFC chip in it, the battery shouldn’t have any effect on it’s
ability to start. Same reason why a “Mickey Mouse” key will start and run the
car as well.

Just for grins, try the remote at each door and the trunk in the dark. I say
that because my 1997 SL500 fob won’t work in the daylight, but will in the
dark. I can only assume that something has weakened the fob (this is with brand
new batteries) or the system isn’t as sensitive as it used to be.

-D