Good point, I guess most of them don't though, I've used that trick a bunch. I
just tested it with my Moto G7 and the hotel TV remote, worked fine.
Another place they come in handy is for seeing if the laser in a fibre
transceiver is working. Point the fibre at the camera and see if the laser is
coming through.
Back in the 1Gb fibre days we used to look into the fibre and see the laser.
With today's 10Gb fibre you'd be giving yourself lasik. The camera is a great
option.
-Curt

    On Saturday, August 10, 2019, 11:36:23 PM EDT, Craig via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

 On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 03:16:08 +0000 (UTC) Curt Raymond via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

>  You should be able to verify that an IR remote is putting out signal
> by shooting it at a digital camera and watching the screen of the
> camera. What is invisible to our normal eyes poses no problem for a
> digital camera. -Curt

Unless it has an IR cut filter.

When I was in graduate student, a fellow in another lab used a child's
toy video camera to trace where his laser's IR beam, but he had to remove
the IR cut filter to allow the camera's detector to see the beam.

Craig