I have always suspected the real issue is that the manufacturer wants to sell
all new plastic craptastic lenses rather than include the necessary linkages to
use old lenses on the new digital bodies.

And until recently, you could sell a junk lens too, the sensor resolution was
so low a high resolution lens was wasted.

I've never seen any real research that indicates the light path direction issue
is in fact something anyone would care about.

Annoys me endlessly as I have a wide assortment of decent to excellent Olympus
OM lenses that are now digital orphans.  Pen F stuff is hot though, as they
adapt to the 4/3 cameras very easily, so with the effort of manual exposure and
focus you get absolutely superb lenses for cheap.