Spent the weekend replacing the rear brakes on the 2015 Jetta. One of the pads
on the driver's side rear had apparently stuck and wore all the friction
material off until it started grinding.
I ordered new pads and rotors but didn't realize that you need a special tool,
the caliper pistons have to rotate as they press in, you can't push them in if
they don't rotate. I guess this is part of how the parking brake works. I ended
up breaking a 6" c-clamp trying to use the cube thing they sell you at
Autozone. In the end I bought the proper tool at Harbor
Freight:https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49008686141_c434948acf_b.jpg
Which makes the job super easy:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49008897132_d198b3a2f4_b.jpg
The worst part of the job was actually breaking the caliper bolts loose.
They're 14mm triple square which I absolutely could not find locally. Turns out
you can pound a T60 torx in and it will work adequately well, however the bolts
are VERY tight and have some kind of heat resistant thread locker their whole
length. I made the mistake of breaking one loose but not removing it while I
pulled the other, when I went back to the first bolt I had to break it free
again. My hands look like I've been playing in a meat grinder...
I got it there in the end and now once again enjoy silent braking:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49008151558_262f834163_b.jpg
I have ordered the proper 14mm triple square driver for when I do the fronts.

-Curt