I've heard people say that a coworker was talking about golf in the breakroom,
then they got ads for golf balls when they browsed the internet, because Goolag
was listening with the phone microphone.

I didn't place too much credence in that, but this week I has an interesting
experience.
I was setting up a Moto E5 for a friend who never had a cell phone but had
Gmail.
I tried to use her Gmail ID in setting it up when it asked for a Goolag account
login. It claimed I was using an unrecognized device and I needed to prove I
was her by giving it a cell number to text me a code to enter in the new phone,
Every device she ever used before was unrecognized, she usually reads her email
on library computers, and it never gave her the text message security thing
before.

So, finally I put in my phone number to send the secret code to, since she had
no other way of receiving texts until after we got her phone working.
Goolag sent me the code, and because I received her code on my phone I
successfully proved I was her. ???
Then I went into Gmail, and her Gmail on her brand new phone showed me ads for
Taste of the Wild at Chewy.com.
(This Sunday I'd been looking at TOTW nutritional info on Chewy.com on my
computer, in a web browser that had Goolag cookies in it)

Goolag didn't want a phone number to confirm identity, they wanted a phone
number to link an existing spy database to the new phone, and lied about why
they wanted a phone number. That reminds me, I still need to delete all the
Google analytics from my laptop.