Those computers fill a small room.   They stand about 4' tall.    They are as accurate as any digital computer, and have the added bonus that the smoke NEVER comes out!   THey will ALWAYS work.  USN did consider replacing them in 1987-88 refit, ( I was told aboard the USS Iowa, BB-61) but decided they were more reliable than digital,  and at least as accurate.

Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 6, 2020 at 4:21 PM
As I recall they used mechanical fire control computers to aim the guns. They compensated for all kinds of variables including ship motion, powder load, atmospherics, and such.

--FT
Sent from iPhone