yup.   That habit was published in the BMWMOA News.

Bob Rentfro via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 11, 2020 at 1:43 PM
At some point is the 90s one of the fellas I work with came back from days off saying he found some Canadian guy, who said he was in a rock band, out wandering in the desert out by our old nuke plant. It seems he was out hunting quail and found this Canadian and he said his dirt bike had broke down and he needed a hand. My work bud took him back to his truck and they took off a couple of miles to his broke down BMW 1150GS out in the middle of BFE. So this random Canadian spent three days at my work associates house while his bike was being repaired, just hanging out with my work associate and he no idea who he was. He came back to work and told us the story we asked him what band the guy said he was in and he said, I don’t remember I think he said his name was Neil and he was in Rush? We all nearly spewed out our coffee. Turns out Neil told my work associate that he randomly picks places desolate, out-of-the-way places to ride off road for several days kind of getting off the grid. He said his intention was to ride from phoenix to Yuma driving exclusively through the desert. When he would reach his destination, he would sell his bike back to a bike shop and hop on a nearest airplane and catch up with the band.

Bob R