the mazda Diesel frod used was a knock off of the VW engine.  Only major difference: mazda reversed the IP and ran it on a separate belt off the back of the belt driven camshaft.   They were better than the BMW.  The early frods had a recall for a head gasket.   I did the headgasket myself at over 100k. At that point, the cylinders looked like new, and the head was perfectly flat.   The body rusted away but the engine was still good. I'd say they were as good as a vw Diesel of the era.

Mitch Haley via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
January 23, 2020 at 11:40 AM

The 2.3L Mustang/Tempo engine was directly descended from the 2300 Pinto engine. The 2.0L Escort/Tempo diesel was a Mazda with a belt drive injection pump and an aluminum head. Reliable like a BMW aluminum head diesel, not like an OM601/602/603.

Mitch.