> Some people are thinking of removing those places from California, as the
> attached picture shows.

Eastern WA wants to lose Western WA (but not the coastal areas) just as badly
as eastern OR wants to lose western OR.  (Coastal OR is considerably more
built-up
than coastal WA, so there's some question there.)  Same exact rural vs urban
problems.

I propose that the simplest/best solution is to form ONE new State: Portlandia,
which
would contain the whole Salem-to-Bellingham high-density strip, including
Portland
and Seattle.  I name I chose for it should be obvious.

-- Jim