turn it back and forth about 50 times and it might start working.

Zoltan Finks wrote:

Out driving this evening, I looked down and noticed two red arrows pointing
downward. Was like the car was trying to relay some evil cryptic message.
Gathered my sensed and realised that the lights in the temperature dials had
started working for the first time since I've owned the auto.

Soon I noticed that the lights in the switches for the sunroof, rear
defroster, etc. were illuminated. Again, a first.

This excited me, as it seemed to suggest that these lights could be healed
much like the my directionals were (as in pretty much all by themselves).

After parking the car to let the pooch run at the park, I got in and behold,
the right half of the dash lights were working (for the first time). I was
ecstatic. My first urge was to spin the rheostat around (thought it would
encourage the healing). As soon as I touched it, all the aforementioned
lights went out.

Well, at least I now have confirmation that the problem is the rheostat, and
that it also controls more than just the gauge cluster lights.

Question: could it be moisture that somehow bridged the gap and allowed them
to work? It's been raining all day.

Brian
83 240D