Ah, the method that got the turn signals working. That's my kind of fix.

Actually I was twirling it as I drove home last night. Then I did something
real bright: I noticed that when turned all the way to the right, it turned
more without much force. I thought: ... Well, I don't know exactly what I
thought. I just turned it more to the right.

Off the knob and spring came. Doh.

I kind of put it back on once home.

I may wind up bridging the rheo., as discussed before, if more spinning
doesn't work.

Brian
83 240D
No mechanical genius.

On 4/30/06, Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

turn it back and forth about 50 times and it might start working.

Zoltan Finks wrote:

> Out driving this evening, I looked down and noticed two red arrows
pointing
> downward. Was like the car was trying to relay some evil cryptic
message.
> Gathered my sensed and realised that the lights in the temperature dials
had
> started working for the first time since I've owned the auto.
>
> Soon I noticed that the lights in the switches for the sunroof, rear
> defroster, etc. were illuminated. Again, a first.
>
> This excited me, as it seemed to suggest that these lights could be
healed
> much like the my directionals were (as in pretty much all by
themselves).

> After parking the car to let the pooch run at the park, I got in and
behold,
> the right half of the dash lights were working (for the first time). I
was
> ecstatic. My first urge was to spin the rheostat around (thought it
would
> encourage the healing). As soon as I touched it, all the aforementioned
> lights went out.
>
> Well, at least I now have confirmation that the problem is the rheostat,
and
> that it also controls more than just the gauge cluster lights.
>
> Question: could it be moisture that somehow bridged the gap and allowed
them
> to work? It's been raining all day.
>
> Brian
> 83 240D

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,
84 190D 2.2, 83 300TD, 81 300TD, 81 240D, 81 240D,
76 450SEL, 76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 72 250C, 69 250
http://www.striplin.net