Let me give you some advice:

I had this situation in two forms, over 8,000 35mm slides, and close to 3,000
photographs, about 6-8 years ago.

I bought a Nikon 35mm slide scanner and devoted nearly two whole weeks of time,
non-stop, probably 6-8 hours a day, to d the slides. It was a flipping
nightmare, made better (compared to scanning photos) by the fact that
everything was a consistent size and the software I used to import handled the
naming/exposure. It was still a nightmare.

When it was time to do the photos I sent them off to a lab that did it and paid
a lump sump for all of them to be scanned, put on a CD and made available for
download. It was worth every penny. I think it cost under $500, more like $350
if I recall correctly.

That being said, I was once again faced with a huge pile of photographs for
scanning from the mother in law about a year ago. I bought a purpose-built
scanner with very good software from Epson. Epson FastFoto FF-640. It wasn’t
cheap ($400) but it does a heck of a job and continues to provide excellent and
fast scanning capabilities for photos and documents.

Your time has value.

-D