I'll give you another perspective.

Take all the boxes of photos, and throw them away.

Ask yourself honestly: how often do you look at this old stuff. Is it
*really* meaningful to you or are you just saving it out of some vague
guilty feeling that you should.

When my mom died, I moved dozens of boxes of photos from her house to
mine. Felt that it would be a shame to throw them away. The fact that
SHE had never gotten around to doing anything with them should have been
a clue.

A few years later, they were all still untouched in my basement. I
finally admitted to myself that I did not have enough interest in these
to be worth keeping them, and threw them all away. It was a relief that
I no longer had to see all those boxes and feel guilty about having done
nothing with them.

Allan

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> writes:

> Let me give you some advice:
>
> I had this situation in two forms, over 8,000 35mm slides, and close to 3,000
> photographs, about 6-8 years ago.
>
> I bought a Nikon 35mm slide scanner and devoted nearly two whole weeks of
> time, non-stop, probably 6-8 hours a day, to d the slides. It was a flipping
> nightmare, made better (compared to scanning photos) by the fact that
> everything was a consistent size and the software I used to import handled
> the naming/exposure. It was still a nightmare.
>
> When it was time to do the photos I sent them off to a lab that did it and
> paid a lump sump for all of them to be scanned, put on a CD and made
> available for download. It was worth every penny. I think it cost under $500,
> more like $350 if I recall correctly.
>
> That being said, I was once again faced with a huge pile of photographs for
> scanning from the mother in law about a year ago. I bought a purpose-built
> scanner with very good software from Epson. Epson FastFoto FF-640. It wasn’t
> cheap ($400) but it does a heck of a job and continues to provide excellent
> and fast scanning capabilities for photos and documents.
>
> Your time has value.
>
> -D
>

>> On May 26, 2020, at 11:30 AM, Floyd Thursby via Mercedes
>> <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have boxes and boxes of old family photos.  I bought a Brother ADS 2700W
>> scanner I am going to use to scan these photos.  I need some sort of
>> management app where I can put in a descriptor, names/places, years, etc. to
>> set up some sort of searchable database of all these pics, then share the
>> database/photos somehow/where for the extended family to access.
>>
>> The device has some sort of associated app called PaperPort I downloaded and
>> will be trying out, it looks kinda clunky on a quick look but maybe it will
>> suffice to get them into a scanned file.  It doesn't seem to allow
>> annotation of images (only PDFs) with other descriptors.
>>
>> Google, Amazon, Picasa, Photobucket and others are online storage apps that
>> I know a little about, Amazon just seems to be a place to store photos and
>> vids, but no details on how to set it up to do what I want to do.  Google
>> seems about the same.
>>
>> Anyone ever done something like this?
>>
>> --
>> --FT

Allan Streib
Indiana University
Luddy School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
Digital Science Center | Intelligent Systems Engineering | FutureSystems