It isnt really a balance. The shut down was just to buy time, and it
worked, but at tremendous cost. The basics of mask wearing, testing and
contact tracing to isolate and quarantine positives and their contacts
involve relatively minimal cost, and no threat to civil liberties. And this
works. Iceland never shut down at all. They just tested lots of people from
the first reported case onward, and had a team of 50 people testing and
tracing the contacts and telling them to stay home for two weeks. They have
close to zero daily new cases. That is all we need to do nationally, but
everybody is too busy whining to get on board and there is no real
leadership at the national level.