Read the whole study at least through the Discussion, don't stop at the
abstract.

"Some health authorities recommend that masks be worn by ill individuals to
prevent onward transmission (source control)4
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR4>,8
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR8>. Surgical face
masks were originally introduced to protect patients from wound infection
and contamination from surgeons (the wearer) during surgical procedures,
and were later adopted to protect healthcare workers against acquiring
infection from their patients. However, most of the existing evidence on
the filtering efficacy of face masks and respirators comes from in vitro
experiments with nonbiological particles9
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR9>,10
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR10>, which may not
be generalizable to infectious respiratory virus droplets. There is little
information on the efficacy of face masks in filtering respiratory viruses
and reducing viral release from an individual with respiratory infections8
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR8>, and most
research has focused on influenza11
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR11>,12
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR12>.

Here we aimed to explore the importance of respiratory droplet and aerosol
routes of transmission with a particular focus on coronaviruses, influenza
viruses and rhinoviruses, by quantifying the amount of respiratory virus in
exhaled breath of participants with medically attended ARIs and determining
the potential efficacy of surgical face masks to prevent respiratory virus
transmission."

Key parts from the Discussion:

" Among the samples collected without a face mask, we found that the
majority of participants with influenza virus and coronavirus infection did
not shed detectable virus in respiratory droplets or aerosols, whereas for
rhinovirus we detected virus in aerosols in 19 of 34 (56%) participants
(compared to 4 of 10 (40%) for coronavirus and 8 of 23 (35%) for
influenza). For those who did shed virus in respiratory droplets and
aerosols, viral load in both tended to be low (Fig. 1
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#Fig1>). Given the high
collection efficiency of the G-II (ref. 19
<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR19>) and given
that each exhaled breath collection was conducted for 30 min, this might
imply that prolonged close contact would be required for transmission to
occur, even if transmission was primarily via aerosols, as has been
described for rhinovirus colds."

" The major limitation of our study was the large proportion of
participants with undetectable viral shedding in exhaled breath for each of
the viruses studied. We could have increased the sampling duration beyond
30 min to increase the viral shedding being captured, at the cost of
acceptability in some participants. An alternative approach would be to
invite participants to perform forced coughs during exhaled breath
collection12 <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#ref-CR12>.
However, it was the aim of our present study to focus on recovering
respiratory virus in exhaled breath in a real-life situation and we
expected that some individuals during an acute respiratory illness would
not cough much or at all."

Here in South Carolina, we have about 2000 new cases reported.  Let's say
for each person with a positive case, there's another 10 that are infected,
so perhaps there are 20,000 people out there in South Carolina with Wuhan
Red Death (WRD).  State population is about 5,000,000 which means that
about 0.4% of the population MIGHT be walking around with WRD.  So if I go
to Costco, and there are about 200 people in the store, maybe one of them
is infected.

I'm about 50, in good health with none of the health conditions that
"experts" think might make me more likely to get seriously ill or die from
this, so I'm not too worried.  If there is one person that is sick, and for
30 minutes of them breathing next to me there's about a 6 in 10 chance that
they aren't expelling any virii in their breath, and they don't cough on
me, then neither they nor I really need a mask, right?  I don't stay next
to anyone for 30 minutes in any store that I go to, generally I'm in and
out in 30 minutes or less.