The school's hot spot is on their own LAN, not my problem.

There are many functions other than church services, typically in the
fellowship hall (church meetings, parties, weddings/funerals, men/women/senior
groups, etc.) where folks want their cell phones to work.  If they don't
connect to the Wi-Fi those cell phone batteries go down fast as the phones try
to ping a tower transmitting at max power.

I could add a password but then would need tell everyone.

I already configured OpenDNS but still looking for something better.  I plan to
install a Unifi Security Gateway so I'm looking for a way to use that.  There
are many consumer routers that could be adapted and security appliances
(without routing), like Circle.  Still looking.