Two kinds of governors on these:

Mechanical, or “droop” governor. Runs on flyweights. No load frequency should
be set at or around 62-63 Hz so when under full load the generator set is at or
near 60 Hz.

Isochronous or electronic governor. Uses a speed pickup on the flywheel, much
like our crankshaft position sensors. Maintains generator frequency (speed) at
60 Hz under all conditions.

Mechanical governors are more common on less expensive sets, as they’re
relatively cheap. Electronic governors are much more expensive and typically
found on more expensive units.

-D