I haven’t personally owned any air-cooled VW’s, but my Dad owned quite a few. I
remember a 1967 Baja Bug with stinger exhaust that would backfire LOUDLY
between shifts which scared me as a kid. Years later, he bought a 1973 Beetle
for $500 that had rusted floors, and a 1964 Karmann Ghia that was hit in the
front end that he bought as a project. I helped him cut the damaged nose off
and hold the junkyard sheet metal  in place so he could weld it. I also
remember starting it with a ratchet which was pretty cool! We drove it around
the neighborhood with no fenders as it sipped fuel from a coffee can just to
see what it could do. My oldest Sister had a 1962 VW Ragtop Bus, boy would I
LOVE to have that one now!
Kevin in Hillsboro, OR
2019 Sprinter Passenger 144WB 1700 miles, Low Mileage Lutgart AKA Der
DoodleWagen
1982 240D, High Mileage Hildegard

Sent from my iPhone