This is in an ML, which has a little different configuration as it’s rack and
pinion, not recirculating ball/Pitman arm.

The tie rod is two pieces, with the ball joint and threaded piece one part, and
another threaded rod that connects inside the steering rack, how exactly I
forget. For that matter, the part of the rod in the steering rack might not be
serviceable separately, I don’t recall.

The tie rod itself is pretty cheap in the aftermarket, like $25 or thereabouts.
With it disconnected from the steering rack, you can remove and replace the
seal (bellows) on the rack without a lot of difficulty. It’s a little tight,
but can be done. What you can’t do on the steering rack without a major
undertaking, is replace the steering rack mounts, which are common failure item
by now, unfortunately. The rack is installed tightly between the frame and
drive train, and is near impossible to get to. I think that’s a four hour flat
rate job.

-D