Working with the SOE (supervisor of elections) here I can calm your fears.

As previously stated, a nation state, most likely the Russians, did breach
several state’s voter registration databases aound the 2016 election. While
problematic for a lot of reasons, doing so had no effect on the actual voting
process.

The actual voting systems, which vary from state to state, are always “air
gapped” in the sense that voting machines are never, ever connected to the
Internet or any network of any kind. As described by others, ballots are
typically printed out for each voter as they register or check in at a polling
place, filled out by the voter, then scanned by a completely stand-alone voting
machine. The votes tabulated in that machine are collected on a memory card or
other means of electronic storage that is encrypted using state of the art
encryption protocols. There is a clearly defined chain of custody involving the
handling of the machines, memory cards, ballots and anything else involved in
the process.

When auditing the results, paper ballots marked by the voters are scanned by a
machine and tabulated separately to compare with the results tabulated by the
voting machines.

It’s a very, very highly controlled process that has changed little over the
years. Most states and municipalities continue to use a paper ballot of some
sort in order to provide a hard copy of the votes - I’m not aware of anyone who
does it 100% electronically, although there may be somewhere.

The stories about massive numbers of votes being added/removed and such are
bogus. The process simply doesn’t have the capacity for such alterations, and
even if someone tried it, the audits done using the physical paper ballots
would quickly reveal any discrepancies. Mistakes do happen, and they’re
typically identified in short order when audits are performed and corrected on
the spot. It’s still a very manual process everywhere I know of, and that’s one
of the reasons why the integrity of the process has been preserved.

-D