Agreed. As I mentioned, I had some school buddies who’s older brothers were
over there, and when they came back some of them were pretty messed up. I
worked for one of them when I pumped gas a few months in high school, and this
guy was a real hum dinger. He couldn’t handle stress at all. We weren’t allowed
to have more than a certain amount of cash on us at any time, so if you
collected a number of sales and were over the limit you were supposed to make a
drop in the safe. During rush hour he would get so worked up about having to
make drops after nearly every sale that he would end up going into the office
and locking himself in there so he could calm down. We would be pumping gas and
not able to make change in some instances because we would need to get change
from him.

One of my best friends is a Vietnam vet. He was a photographer for the Army,
and while he saw some action he wasn’t in the really nasty stuff according to
him. Good guy, pretty stable from what I’ve seen over 20 some years, but he’s
got some personality traits that I suspect are either a result of his service
or that he’s a hard core New Yorker - tough to make the distinction.

-D