We have a large pool of officers and their families coming into the area due to
SOCOM and MacDil AFB being here. Probably a third of my current neighborhood
consists of active duty officers and retirees. They make for great renters,
despite the sometime quick changes that can result from reassignments and TDY.
However, the housing allowance they get is well over what most rents are if
they have a family, so renting to them is easy and there is always someone
right behind them if they leave.

My former neighbor across the street has been renting their house to military
only for the last five years and has only had about 2-3 months out of that time
with the house unoccupied. We would have gone that route as well had we chosen
to keep the place and rent.

That being said, I just didn’t want the hassle of being a landlord. That, and
the last mortgage we had on the place, a 15 year note, would have made for the
cash flow to be minimal as well. We certainly would have turned a profit after
taxes and expenses, but not enough that we thought worthwhile. Had we owned the
place outright or had a lower mortgage payment, it might have been more
attractive.

-D