Brian,
What a mess! Sounds similar to others I have seen.

Depending on the radio you use, and the condition of your current wiring, you may be in for a bit of wiring. Hopefully, others will respond as well, and we can compare notes.

The original Becker has two audio or speaker outputs: a left and a right. The fader control located in the console divides these outputs between the front and back. If you use an aftermarket radio, it is likely to have four outputs: one for each speaker. So, you will need to take the fader out of the system for best performance. Try to trace the wires from the back of the fader to the original radio. The PO may have already doctored (or butchered) these wires as well. Then you will need to identify the wires to each speaker, cut them and wire them into the appropriate output on the replacement radio. In most cases, you will find the low side of the speaker cable pairs wired together near the fader control. When you install the replacement radio, make sure you separate these, and each output should be in independently wired.

The original Becker, being a mechanically tuned radio does not need a constant power source for the memory, as a new replacement radio will require. You will need to find a source. Use a trouble light or multi-meter to find +12V with the keys removed. There is a source on the ignition switch or light switch. Make sure you fuse this line. A better place is the wire to the dome light. Avoid routing the constant voltage wire around the clock as the coil in the clock can induce noise the radio will pick-up. I recently assisted a friend with an upgrade in his W123 ('79 300D) and we found a red wire that went to the dome light and spliced into that. The confusion factor here is that the switched +12 volts currently going to the Becker is likely to be a red wire also, and is controlled by the ignition switch, so it will not work for the B+ (memory) requirement of the aftermarket radio.

Look around for a blue wire. The blue wire that plugs into the Becker is for the power antenna, if your car is so equipped. The brown wire is the ground. I suggest a separate ground to a fresh source. A poor ground is a common problem with updated audio installs.

Wires to mechanical Beckers:

Blue:   Antenna
Brown: Ground
Black:  Switched 12 volts

Wires to electronic Beckers
Pin 1 - off-set  Ground,  Brown wire
Pin 2 - Ignition + 12 V  Black wire
Pin 3 - Illumination + 12 V Gray wire
Pin 4 - Constant (memory)  + 12 V Red wire

On my W123 and others I have worked on, the speaker pairs are as follows (yours may be different):

Left Front White connector,
(+) Gray w/ red stripe
       (-)  Gray
Left Rear    White connector,
(+) Red/ black stripe
       (-) Black
Right Front Black Connector,
 (+) Green w/ black stripe
       (-) Black
Right Rear Black Connector,
(+) Black w/green stripe
       (-) Black

This is a lot of wiring, but done carefully and properly is worth your time. When adding and splicing wires, I always solder the wires and cover the splices with heat shrinkable tubing (available at Radio Shack). I believe this is a better method than crimp on splice connectors (personal opinion).

Hope this is helpful,

Dan Steadman
1980 300D
1980 300TD Euro