From: Mercedes On Behalf Of Kaleb Striplin via Mercedes
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 10:31 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Cc: Kaleb Striplin <ka...@striplin.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Heat pump question

Well I went out and checked it.  When I looked at in there was no frost on the
coils that I could see in the center part.  I pulled the cover and sure enough
it was blinking a low pressure lockout. With the side cover off I could see
some frost on the outside of the coils, not a whole lot though.  I shorted the
test pins to reset it and it kicked back on.  I shorted them again to force a
defrost.  Defrost ran for about 5-10 minutes and once frost was clear it kicked
back into heat mode.

Since replacing the defrost board with attached sensor last year, I have not
had a problem sense.  Why the heck did it happen again?  I know it has a temp
sensor for the coils.  Do these work by going into a defrost cycle on a timed
basis if the temp sensor is below a certain temp?  Or do they sense the coils
are freezing up and enter defrost when needed (not on a timed scheduled).

 From what I recall, some old systems did not have a temp sensor and just went
into defrost every so often.  I think some systems sense when it needs to be
done.  Others I think are still timed but only do it when temp is below a
certain point.  This is a 2008 Rheem running on 410 so I am not sure.  If mine
runs on a timer only when temp gets low maybe it is so cold that it simply did
not reach its run time to defrost soon enough before it started frosting up, or
perhaps it is sucking in blowing snow which caused it to frost up faster?