On 2021-06-06 12:36, Dan Penoff via Mercedes wrote:
I would research this heavily, as one of the things I saw when I was
looking into them was complaints from people in northern climes who
mistakenly installed these in unheated areas of the house that
ultimately discovered they were horribly inefficient if the ambient
air temps dropped below a certain point.

Inefficient or ineffective? I can't imagine them ever being less efficient than a plain electric water heater. One might think that they would turn into electric water heaters if the basement got too cold, and produce little heat just above the switchover point.