I am vaguely aware that individuals are not supposed to own unregistered cars,
since they don't want improptu salvage yards popping up, but it's so common and
I've never seen it enforced that I am quite suprised they went so far as to tow
a vehicle from private property. I'd expect at least some kind of written
notice first.

Allan