If the house has gutters you might want to put some heat strips in the gutters, I had this problem in my MA house, water from the melting bottom of snow on the roof ran down into the gutters and froze then the next water running down backed up.  I put some heater wire in there with a switch in the house, when conditions were favorable I turned on the strips and that seemed to solve the problem

--FT