I once tried to buy the property next to mine, which was vacant (had never been
built on) at the time. I submitted a written offer to the seller, who was a
flipper who had bought it at a tax lien auction (wish I'd been paying attention
and knew about that, I would have been bidding).

Anyway they returned my letter with my offer amount crossed out and their
original asking price written in. I figured it was over at that point, since
they didn't move at all.

In retrospect with what property values have done lately, it would still have
been worth it, but their ask was rather ridiculous at the time based on
comparative sales.

Now I have a neighbor there and in the summertime it seems like every evening
from 5:00pm to dark he is running some kind of power equipment. Lawn mower,
garden tiller, weedeater, leaf blower, chain saw... something. If not that, his
kid is riding a noisy two-stroke dirt bike around the property. I'm very much a
live-and-let-live type of neighbor and people live out here in the country so
they can do stuff like that, but he really stands out from the other neighbors
in just being constantly noisy during times when most people are wanting to
settle down and relax at the end of the day. I keep hoping that he'll
eventually get all the trees cleared that he wants and have his property to his
liking and will quiet down. But I also am thinking maybe he's just outside
working to get away from the rest of the family ;-)

Allan