Nothing changes when it is bottle-fed. (paragraph 1) That was tried with no change.

I will try having them start it with the oil filler cap off. Maybe the crankcase breather has gotten plugged up. (Paragraph 2)

Thanks Dr. Booth

Loren

At 09:28 PM 6/7/2006, you wrote:
Loren Faeth wrote:
> Got a question guys!
>
> The Bambi-killing TD is finished. (87 300TD, OM 603) They had it idling for > a couple of hours filling and checking the AC. After this couple of hours,
> it would not run over 1000 rpm.  After a while, it idled rough, then
> died.  We checked/changed filters.  Fuel flow seems to be ok.  Cracking
> lines shows little /no fuel flow.
>
> Now what happens:  After it sits 30 min or more, it will start and idle a
> couple of seconds, then shut off, starved for fuel.  It will not
> restart. I had them unhook the brown vacuum tube and try it then. No change.
>
> My thought is perhaps a stuck rack or the shut-off valve gone bad on the
> pump.
>
> Anybody BTDT?  In 30+ years I have never had a stuck rack, but the car has
> been sitting for 7 months.
>
> If the shut-down has gone bad,  is this behavior normal with/without the
> vacuum hooked up?  Is Brown/purple the correct tube for the shutdown?  I
> tried that over the phone.  If I could see the pump, i can tell.

Will it run when fuel is applied like you do with Diesel Purge? If it
does the blockade is between the tank and the lift pump.

If there is serious crankcase pressure (like when the crank breather is
blocked), it will shut off the fuel shutoff valve within seconds after
the engine starts.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)