Luther Gulseth wrote:

What's the best way to track down a leak like this?

Since I never use blocking the vent to test the engine, I never discover such leaks - and if I don't know about them, the engine runs fine and is not consuming oil or fuel at an alarming rate, I'm sure not going to spend any time looking for them.

Most leaks of that sort push oil vapor out thru them and the engine gets dirty there (like around the breather line or the oil fill cap). That I notice and MAY do something about - especially if I'm using LOTS of oil.

Start by cleaning the engine. Then look for new oil deposits over the next few days.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)