My dad was an electronics engineer (ITT Fort Wayne!). He was always screwing
around with our various tube TVs and some old tube radio that was fairly
ancient. I remember going with him to an “electronics” shop in town that had
millions of tubes in this old building, shelves floor to ceiling. It had a
coupla testers. That stuff was a total mystery to me but somehow he knew what
tubes were bad in the innards.

I remember he built a Heathkit fish finder at some point. Took forever but the
thing actually worked pretty well, at least it appeared to though I’m not sure
it increased fish production.  You stuck the hydrophone or sonar or whatever
the sensor was in the water. It had a rotating disk with a Nixie tube on it or
something like that that would flash at the appropriate “depth” marking. It was
not particularly reliable though as he was always messing with it and at some
point I think he gave up on it.

My parents bought some huge console stereo thing back in the 60s that was about
6ft long. Magnavox I think, they were a big factory in town and some of his
college buddies worked there.  Sounded like crap. I got a little Sony cassette
deck at some point and managed to hook it up (undocumented aux inputs!) and
between the hiss of the cassettes and the crappy speakers it also sounded like
shite. But it was fun. I think I had put a cassette deck in my car by then so
recorded albums to play in it.

I was in college and one summer I bought a nice Pioneer receiver and large
Advents (still using them for my TV sound after refining ages ago)) and he
groused and complained that the system “didn’t look nice.”  I pointed out that
it sounded a lot better though and that was what mattered. He was not
convinced. I was home for the summer and set it up in the living room to listen
to. He refused to touch it until I came home one day and it was tuned to an
“easy listening “ FM station he liked. Too funny. I said something about it
that evening and he grumbled that well he thought he might try it out. Then at
Christmas he got me a really nice Pioneer turntable (I still have that and
should set it up too and play some vinyl) and I gave him a hard time that “it
didn’t look nice” and he allowed well he wouldn’t have to look at it much since
I would be away at school most of the time. I caught him playing his Mantovani
and Perry Como records on it though. I might still have those boxed up.

Damn this was all like 50yr ago now. The receiver has a bad channel on it and
cuts in and out or doesn’t work at all. Probably components have failed. It
started doing that after it was maybe 8yo. Nice unit though.

--FT
Sent from iFōn