Heathkit was pretty much gone by the time I was earning enough to afford
anything interesting. I built a few kits from Radio Shack as a kid.

My dad built a few things from Heathkit. I remember the parts spread out on the
kitchen table after dinner when he'd work on them. He was very meticulous and
had to have everything identifed and organized before he started. Mise en place
sort of thing.