There were a few years in there where a "killer dowel pin" can come off
inside the timing cover and obliterate the engine. It could be fixed by welding a tab over the pin or possibly removing it. I'm not sure if this
applies to the 24V engines from 1998.5 to 2002 or the latest generation
common rail injection engines.

The KDP cracks the timing case, no obliteration.  Engine generally
continues to run unaffected, but leaks oil badly.  Spendy to fix,
a lot of labor involved.  I think the common-rail engines are
immune, but everything prior is somewhat at risk.  (Think cracked
603 head.)

-- Jim