In a message dated 6/21/2006 8:24:01 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  When you say it's eating fuel I assume you mean it's getting poor fuel
>  mileage?  It's been  my experience on my '78 240D is it gets  24-26mpg -
and
> this is with a perfect engine.  The engine was  rebuilt 30k miles ago and
> everything was rebuilt or replaced except  the injection pump which seems to
> work perfectly.

When I say  eating, I mean that for how the fuel gauge drops, I should be
smelling a  massive leak somewhere, but no such luck.

What I mean is using nearly  quarter of a tank of fuel for 3-4 hours idling
time. Actually it probably  uses more at idle (when it still has the miss)
than on the  road.

Mac,

I wouldn't put too much stock in the PO's comment that the IP timing is  dead
on.  He may have overlooked a step, or his interpretation of the  beginning
of stroke was flawed.

Do it yourself.  Didn't you adjust your valves yourself?  Also,  check timing
chain stretch.  The 616 requires manual oil additions to the  injection pump.
 A low oil level could be causing problems with the  governor and rack.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 262 K miles