Marshal:

Motor oil is rather to have the solvent effect of gasoline, and I rather suspect the gas just makes the fuel easier to ignite (i.e. raises the Cetane index a bit). After all, we are talking a quart or less in a full 20 gal tank, and it's not all gasoline.

I don't want to put more in, as Benz does not recommend adding gasoline to the tank in the 60x series. This may simply be that winter fuel isn't so hard to come by at the appropriate times of year or that additives are better, I don't know -- it is possible that a large amount of gasoline will damage the IP, something I definitely want to avoid!

Peter