On Jun 22, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:

I don't want to put more in, as Benz does not recommend adding gasoline
to the tank in the 60x series.

Here's an excerpt, verbatim, from a Mercedes Benz 124 diesel owner's manual inclusive of 601, 602 and 603 engines:

"Should standard gasoline have to be used for blending, never exceed a proportion of 30%. Premium fuels must not be used. The lower flash point of the supplementary fuels increases the danger of explosions. Engine power may drop according to the proportion of supplementary fuel. For this reason, keep percentage of fuel added to the minimum necessitated by the ambient temperature. At ambient temperatures of less than -25C the proportion of supplementary fuel must not exceed 50%".

The manual from which I gleaned this information is an English version of Euro 124Ds #124 584 14 96 Order #6550 5614 02. Regardless of the geographical difference, a 60X is a 60X and gasoline is gasoline. Even if available octane ratings differ from country to country. You won't be hurting anything by adding 1/70th of a tank of gasoline to your diesel fuel.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am