The rattling is a bad bearing in the pulley carrier, and when it gets bad
enough the belt starts to run on only one side of the pulley and gets pulled
sideways as it goes around.  Early failure every time.

Make sure the carrier bearing is good, I seem to remember it’s a standard size
and can be replaced, otherwise replace the carrier.

Peter