Whether or not you have a primer pump, the answers should be yes and yes.

It should fill the filter on it's own, but you may have a dead battery
first, or just adding a lot of wear and tear on your starter and battery if
nothing else.
It's always a good idea to fill the filter before you put it on.  Personally
I use ATF to fill it.

Levi