-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Ritchey
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 5:38 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] FW: '79 240D alternator

What exactly went wrong with the alternator?  Were all failures similar?

The brushes and regulator are an easily replaceable unit that I've
changed from below with the car on its wheels (not jacked), is that what
failed?

Belt tension is important; too lose and you won't charge, too tight and
it will ruin the alternator bearings.

The Bosch reman I got from Rusty still works fine.  I did have a problem
where a burr on the pulley ate belts until I discovered the cause
(operator error while swapping the pulley to the reman alternator).

Scott Ritchey
Kittrell NC
1982 300SD 220K
1979 300TD 350K

Just had the 3rd remanufactured  Bosch alternator go out and need to be
replaced on the Green Goddess.. This is the third one in a little over a
year.  I know Curt Raymond that problem with his  240D and Bosch reman
alternators before he sold it. Anyone else have any experience with
these?

This is the second Indy to work on it-can't find any 'cause'. When I ask
about cause I get what the Car Talk guys call 'the mechanic's shrug. I
have two specific questions:

Has there been a run of bad reman Bosch alternators?
Any problems with the electrical system that could  be frying the
alternators? Thanks. Dwight

Dwight Giles, Jr
1979 240D auto, 250K + miles
1990 300D 2.5t, 130K miles