On 2024-05-08 17:13, dan penoff.com via Mercedes wrote:
Michigan Mitch, who no doubt has been caught up with tax season, was the resident Bolt/Volt expert, as I recall. Hopefully, he’ll have time to chime in on this.

I was saving Curt's message to reply to.

In 2012, when GM had one EV (the EV-1 doesn't count, none were made in this century and none were ever sold), Volt was a good enough name.

Almost simultaneously dropping the Volt and introducing the Bolt made things confusing, Curt would argue stupidly confusing and I can't dispute him.

I knew a Bolt was more powerful, heavier and faster than a Spark, with enough range to handle even my winter highway commute with single point charging. I didn't realize how small it was for a car that heavy until the day I actually parked next to one at Meijer. For some reason the pictures had me thinking it was a 3/4 scale "mini" van. But it's not in the same ballpark, or even the same planet, as a Grand Caravan.

If I were in the market I might consider a $10k Bolt with a 95% battery.

I wanted to like the Volt, but it's always been heavier, slower and more expensive than a Cruze and it shares the Cruze chassis. At least the Spark EV blew the doors off the 1.4L Spark gasser.

I wonder what a used Spark goes for these days?
Maybe I should have bought that $9k lemon law Spark I found in Wisconsin 7 years ago. But it doesn't have the round trip capacity I need in the winter, and in the winter of 2017 the city of Dewitt wrapped their free public charger in police tape so I would have been running a 110V extension cord from the office if I drove it to work. If it was blue/blue with level 3 charging I would have bought it. But it was black, and the upscale model with black vinyl ("leatherette") and no fast charge socket.