Zeitgeist wrote:
Other than the slightly different glowplug system, I'm at a loss to think of
too many reasons why a .96 can't be substituted for a .97  If I came upon a
good deal for one of those rigs, that's exactly what I'd do.  But then
again, I'd rather stick with the E-class anyway.

The preglow system is different (not any big deal at all), the computer control is different, the EGR control is different, the wastegate is controlled differently, The ignition/fuel shutoff is electrical rather than just vacuum. There are LOTS of little things that MUST be addressed. They can probably all be solved, but it isn't a "slip-in" exchange.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)