It still has a slight miss, but it's using tons of oil too, lots of blue smoke puffing out of it. It's been a good experience, but this is going to be a case of getting my money back out of it and moving on to another one with a sound engine. The glow plugs have been tested and they are working, so the hard starting, hard enough where it won't start without that bad
stuff called starting fluid, is due to poor compression with only 204K
miles.

The Chicken Wagon had all those symptoms except hard starting, and
_all_ were cured by working on the crankcase breather system.  It
purrs like a kitten now.  If there's enough oil feedback through
the intake it could crap up the ring and/or valve sealing enough
to ruin compression too.  All I'm saying is that the engine is
not necessarily ruined, though of course it could be.

You have two benign sources of oil into the intake, the oil
separator in the breather and the turbo.  Both are easily
cured.

-- Jim