from the valve cover into the air cleaner. It could use some type of oil separator so that oil "feedback" doesn't gunk up the intake which I'm sure
it's doing quite well.  IF I remove the oil cap for even a second or so

It's already got one, doesn't it? Whether it's working correctly or not...

while it's running, oil dribbles all over the valve cover with considerable blowby. Now that you mention this, most of the burned oil could be due to oil feedback since there's that much of it going on. Maybe this one is a candidate for a homemade oil separator to catch the vast quantities of oil
vented from the crankcase breather.

It might be worth a bit of experimentation before writing off a
potentially nice coupe.  The thing about oil feedback (tm!) is that
if it gets bad enough to crap up the rings that just makes more
blowby, exacerbating and perpetuating the problem.  Your car might
be a candidate for a sealing job to the baffle inside the valve cover,
and it might need some attention to the separator and breather tube.
The Chicken Wagon cleared up nearly completely in just a few hundred
miles after its real problem, a clot of glue inside the breather tube,
was corrected.

Or you could try the 2l bottle idea just to get the oil going somewhere
else for long enough to see if the situation starts improving with
some Italian tuning action.

Or I'll give you $500 for it and then _I_ will try these things!
(Then I sell it for the big bucks!)

-- Jim