Quite Informative ,.
On my 300se with the KE variation  I would have assumed the  EHA had gone
bad and not the  O2 sensor.
       Recently I replaced the lambda sensor. and  got the  Bosch generic
version for the 126. but  you loose out on the  two white wire heater
connections. Originally the plug has a white dot on one pin. these heater
wire connected one way give a faster response on the diagnostic pins 2 and 3
for the duty cycle.Of course there could be variations on the USA  versions
compared to  European models.

mak

It intermittently ran extremely rich.  The idle would start surging like
crazy, and it'd blow grey smoke.  The spark plugs were sooty black.
This is the old CIS-Lambda system.  The Lambda part is scabbed on to the
otherwise mechanical system and it has no real self-diagnostic
capability.  If the Lambda control unit detects an open circuit on the
oxygen sensor it'll go open-loop, but otherwise it just does whatever it
thinks the sensor is telling it.  The short made it think the sensor was
indicating an extremely lean condition.

This would be an extremely easy way to melt a catalytic converter, BTW.