Having lived in MA and now Houston, Texas, it is a toss-up as to which is worse. In MA it is the Boston area (and wherever those folks drive to, like downnacape). I learned to anticipate certain stupidities in a given situation, because you just know someone is going to do it when the situation arises. So you can try to avoid it, usually fairly successfully, unless you want to participate, which is what I would do occasionally in my old truck when someone made the left turn in front of me immediately when the light turned green. It just felt good for a 20 yr old truck to whack a new car, rather gently though, then the cops came and that driver got a ticket too, and insurance rates that went through the roof, and the bill to fix their tinfoil fender and bumper. I witnessed a fight one morning on the freeway, a woman cut off a guy to merge into an exit, SHE got out to go yell at him for not letting her cut him off, he popped her in the face knocking her to the pavement (cars driving past), she got up and yelled at him again, he popped her again, she got up, he smacked her the third time, she got the message and back in her car, flipped him off, backed into his car, and then took off through the breakdown lane, around the slow exiting traffic with him in hot pursuit. 7:30AM. I think her makeup was a bit mussed.

In Houston, with our large selection of illegal guest "drivers" (no licenses, no insurance, no skill or awareness of even the minimal aspects of traffic or driving a vehicle), assertive oblivious women yapping on cell phones in large and/or expensive vehicles, and ricers and arrozers who view the freeway as a slalom course to be taken at Tokyo drift speeds, the behavior is much more random, and hence much more dangerous. Add 8 to 12 people (mostly small children) in a clapped-out Explorer or minivan, no seatbelts (it's a "cultural" thing so the apologists tell us), perhaps a little too much cerveza, and the body count adds up real quick. My neighbor was a trauma surgeon at the local hospital that catches the helo flights bringing in the road carnage, etc. -- he could tell some amazing stories about the consequences of the inventive stupidity of humankind, esp when alcohol and cars were mixed... (Knives, machetes, heavy blunt objects, guns and woman factors were a whole 'nuther category, esp on a Saturday or full moon night). The demographics of his patients were also interesting from a sociological standpoint.

Hard to say which is "worse." My insurance rates (or payments) here are not significantly different from MA.

--R

andrew strasfogel wrote:
The MA states (MD and Mass.) have the worst drivers - no contest.  Nobody
even comes close.  Check out the insurance rates.