From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Sent: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Kettle, pot, black, this is getting old real quick

*sigh* Did you read your own message?

>Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:16:26 -0400
>From: "Michael Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [MBZ] Kettle, pot, black, this is getting old real quick
>To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

>What is the point this list?  I was under the impression that it was to
>disseminate information about Mercedes.  So when some one says
>something
>that is blatantly wrong, those of us who recognize the error are
>supposed to
>sit by and watch?   Steve asked why 2 of his 123's start in second, and
>1 starts in first.  So I replied:

>"Mercedes has offered too many transmissions in too many different cars
>unilaterally say what gear a given car will start in. I think a 79 240D
>should have a 722.117 and the 83 300D should have a 722.315  and both
>SHOULD start in 2nd gear.
- '83 300D is turbo? I'm not sure if it could be either or not.

>The 85 CALIFORNIA version should have what is
>essentially a 201 chassis tranny in a case that fits in a 123 - I
>believe
>this would be a 722.416, but either way, it SHOULD start in first gear.
>A Federal 85 should have the same 722.315 as an 83."

>Kaleb, however, decided I was wrong, and "The 123 and 126 turbo cars
>start in FIRST"

>Except then Tom Hargrave, Jim Cathey and Peter Frederick all made
>mention of cars that violated Kaleb's decree.  OK Don went on to quote his 115
>Chassis manual making mention of "1st. gear can be engaged only by means of
>kickdown" ie, second gear starts.
-115 300D ISN'T a turbo. Besides which Kaleb was quite specific saying 123 and
126.

>Then Kaleb tried to show he was right by twisting his own words and
>saying "they start in 1st, as I have said many times already.  The part about
>them sitting in 2nd is correct, they sit in 2nd till you start moving, but
>start in first."  Wait, did manage to contradict yourself twice in the span
>of two sentences?
-Uhh no, he said they start in first. There was plenty of discussion on why
they
sit in second.

>And then Mitch Haley goes on to say the W116 Service book states
>300SD's start in second.
-Again thats a 116, not the 123 and 126 Kaleb referenced above.

As I said in my other message I don't much care what gear they start in. My
problem is
that it seems like you've somehow taken this as a personal affront and decided
that because you
disagree with someone you can call them names and generally act like you're 12.
"Just because you say it doesn't make it right" comes to mind. Adults usually
back up their position
with facts and other documentation. You have to tell us your qualifications. I
don't care who you are
you are capable of making mistakes. If you're right thats terrific but if you
can't prove you're right
you might as well be wrong.

-Curt