Ah. I'm intrigued by this muffler cement. This type of patch wouldn't
work here though, as the break is right where the pipe joins the body
of the muffler (if I recall correctly). So I suppose technically I
need a new muffler.

It's a muffler that's mounted with its length running "side-to-side",
and the pipe entering right into the middle of its cylindrical body.
So not a very common muffler I think.

Since it's looking like we may have to sell the car for parts, I'm
just going to use it this winter and then seek to part with it. The
car runs great - good engine and tranny and nice interior! But there
are annoying things like this that need fixing, and I'm sure nobody
would give me more than a few hundred for the car.

Also: I thought I read recently on a JB Weld package that it
withstands a pretty impressive temperature. I did a thusfar successful
repair right up by the manifold, but I also hung it with a
tightly-wound clothes hanger to take the pressure off the joint.

Brian
83 240D

On 10/27/06, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Zoltan Finks wrote:
> I intend to go at the repair with some nice JB Weld. I'm not too
> worried about whether it holds or not (the exhaust is rusty) JB is
> pretty cheap and I can always try again. I've got the pipe hung so
> that it won't fall off.

JB Weld doesn't take high temperatures very well.  If it's on a straight
section of pipe, I'd make a "tin can patch" with a piece of sheet metal,
two clamps, and some muffler cement.  Those hold up pretty well.