Water is not the only thing that can contaminate fuel, just the most likely to shut you down in sub freezing weather a few minutes after fueling. Most other contamination is rust, dirt, or other petro products mixed in by mistake or whatever. I'd still guess your problem could be rust/crud but is still better than 90% likely to be water in the fuel.

Gassers can also benefit from a water separator/ultra filter ala Racor or Masterfilter just as Diesels can.

Sorry if I offended you. I didn't intend to I WAS taking potshots at the perto distribution and sales system. Most of these people are good, honest folks, but it only takes one to shut you down. I have had my share of bad fuel.
Loren